Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just Got Owned in Halo, now I Need to Vent

It's been a while since i've blogged - and i need to stop starting every blog of mine with that statement. But there is a reason that I don't write in it much - School, ACF leadership, leading the GUM youth, Bible study, relationships, Halo, sports, guitar...and sleep. All of those things happened almost every day this past semester. That is why blogging has not been high on the priority list lately,

Also, I've been wrestling with why I even have a blog. I've been reading lots of things written by everyday people lately - most of them are Christians. I read their blogs, Facebooks, tweets, and they all sound the same to me. Everyone has their own personal flair, but the tone and message is really pretty similar. People like to tweet (or retweet) quotes from C.S. Lewis, John Piper, G.K. Chesterton, Donald Miller, and other pastors and writers, sharing some creative outlook on life or approach to Christianity. People like to talk about what new and interesting experiences they had, or share a verse that stuck with them from the morning's quiet time and attach with it a small challenge to those who are following them - and to themselves of course...that's why they posted it in the first place. I get things like this multiple times a day, and frankly, it's getting pretty old for me.

I continue to read them because they force me to think and wrestle with my own thoughts. I've been wrestling with why I really don't enjoy these blogs/tweets/facebook/etc. anymore. I think it comes down to the authority with which one uses to get a point across. The authority itself does not frustrate me - I admire the confidence and assertiveness people have to share those thoughts and inspirational nuggets. What bothers me is that authority connotes leadership, and so we have a ton of leaders telling everyone who follows them everything that they think is important. I think this is a problem because, to me, everyone is trying to lead and follow at the same time - and I include myself in this. You can't be a leader and a follower in the same circle of people - you can't do both. It's too confusing for everyone, and that makes leadership (and following) less effective.

This why I haven't been blogging or even tweeting as much Christianity stuff. I imagine some people feel the same way as me, and being flooded with these messages that many of us have already heard is tiring. I feel like I need a detox...maybe this is because I'm already so incredibly involved in ministry things - it is a huge part of my week.

Whatever it is, those are my thoughts, and I basically just weakened my argument by writing this. Why do we all have an agenda that we feel needs to be heard by everyone?

No comments: