Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Winning

I'm in a goofy mood right now...jamming to U2, watching youtube...which put together = U2b (bad joke...told you I'm in a mood). But there's a lot in store for me soon. I am getting married in 72 days which means that I will also (hopefully) be starting a new job doing full time ministry shortly after that. Both of these things make me more excited than anything, but they also intimidate me a little bit. These two responsibilities are no easy tasks to do well. And I want to do them well.

These huge responsibilities make me feel small. I can't do them as well as I want by myself. These are God sized things, and God sized things are hard, and it's easy to give up. When I do that, I feel lost. Something within me (and pretty much everyone) wants to win, to overcome, to succeed. Oftentimes we get excited, have good intentions, and then fizzle out. Lately I've been reading through different parts of the Old Testament (mostly Joshua and 1, 2 Samuel) looking at some of the early leaders of Israel. It's interesting to see how that tiny little nation prospered and seemed to fizzle out with the coming and going of leaders. Israel was strong and prosperous with godly leaders and weak with ungodly leaders. Joshua may have been the most 'successful' leader of Israel: he led them into the promised land by driving out other nations (this dude was a stud) all the while keeping Israel focused on the Lord (a solid politician as well).

While I'm not going to be leading a nation, it made me think about my leadership. What are my strengths/weaknesses? Where do I need to grow? Where am I failing or falling short? Having all of that in mind, I thought about Joshua and all of his success. Was this guy just a superhuman stud with an incredible competitive drive to succeed? I think that's what the world wants us to be like. "You want it? Go and get it for yourself! Don't let anyone take it from you!"

I don't think this was the core of Joshua's character. He may have been competitive, but that didn't drive him. What made him so great was that he didn't view himself as great. All he did was follow the Lord. At the beginning of the book of Joshua, God gives him some promises (paraphrased): "Every place your foot touches I have given to you. You will have success wherever you go if you be careful to do according to all the law. All you need to do is be strong and courageous."

Well, Joshua did that. He obeyed God and he was strong and courageous, and I think Joshua would say that God did the rest. Do you know what Joshua means in its original language? It means 'Yahweh is salvation.' His name reminded him (and others) every day that he wasn't the one with the plan. Joshua wasn't saving Israel from the cities of people who didn't want the Israelites there. God did it. Israel entered the promised land and drove all sorts of people out of it, and they became wealthy from the spoils of war. And not one time did Joshua fall or lead Israel astray. Because Joshua was faithful, Israel prospered. Other generations weren't so lucky. Israel seemed like a roller coaster of good and evil leaders.

Joshua seemed to be the prototypical leader for the Israelites - obey God, follow him boldly and you'll win. Failing to be obedient is disastrous. I'm surprised at how devoted he was to following God's will. He must have been so focused and he must have cared so much for his people to be disciplined enough to always seek God first.

...Which leads me back to me. If I'm a husband and a pastor and I'm not seeking God first, of course it's going to be a disaster! And that's because I can't do those things by myself. My plans and vision and dreams and desires will fizzle out when I get discouraged or lost. But when I do begin to fizzle out, that doesn't change God's plans, and his plans are perfect. Thank goodness he doesn't change them based on my emotions!

I think that sometimes people get so focused on leadership that they forget how to follow. I've found that when I am not obedient and I forget what it looks like to follow the Lord, my life is way less fruitful (branches can't produce fruit unless they're connected to the vine). And how much despair do we have when we're lost! So quickly do we forget God's promises: "I will never leave you nor forsake you...do not let this book of the Law depart from your mouth. Meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful."

If God makes that promise, as long as we're faithful, we're winning. Sure, it's not easy, but isn't it harder to try to do it without the Lord?

No comments: