Monday, October 6, 2008

Fight for Joy

So the name of my blog is 'Fight for Joy.' If you know me, I think you'd agree that the title describes me fairly well. I only just recently realized that my life story thus far has been one complex, messy and beautiful quest for joy. Growing up I searched for happiness...things that I thought would make me happy: friends, popularity, success, material stuff, girls, sports - the list goes on. Those things did make me happy, but much to my surprise, I wasn't satisfied, so I pursued more happiness. Little did I know that I was being set up for a kick in the face...

...And what a glorious roundhouse it was! The summer before my senior year in high school, the Lord did an extreme soul makeover inside me, and in a period of a couple days I went from the 'pursuit of happiness' being my life and all that I am to God becoming infinitely worth it. I had been blindsided by the outrageous love of Jesus! Only then did I realize that I desired joy the whole time, and I had no idea what I got myself into. My world was turned upside down and I didn't even know it...that comes later on in the story...

Where does joy even come from? It certainly doesn't come from me, since I couldn't produce it growing up. (God loving me - his creation - and not the personas which I created comes into play here, but I'll save that for another time) That must mean it comes from the Lord...it's a gift (makes sense since it's a fruit of the Spirit). We are instructed to 'be joyful always...' how does that work? If we can't produce it how can we reflect it? That's where 'Fight for Joy' comes in. If you've experienced the Love of the Lord of the Dance (I can't take credit for that...those are Brennan Manning's words) you know exactly what I'm talking about. You've tasted that joy. Unfortunately we mess it up and we lose sight of the prize and our joy fades with it. What are we supposed to do? We fight! Is it worth fighting for? Satan thinks so - if that wasn't the case then I think joy would be easier. Lacking joy is losing sight of God's glory...FIGHT TO SEE! He wants to show us amazing things!

So, the name of my blog is 'Fight for Joy' because I desire to see. I fight because I want to see more. I fight because I think it's worth it. Entire books have been written on this topic, but this is a blog so I can only share a couple points before you get bored! I hope it encourages you to fight to see. Look into it! Thanks for reading!

Special thanks to Brennan Manning, Nate Larkin, and John Piper for helping me articulate my thoughts...

James 1:2-4, Habakkuk 1:5

1 comment:

Adam Jepson said...

One thing I forgot to mention here is why are we called to 'be joyful always?' When we are satisfied in God we bring him more glory. Everything we do should bring Him glory...hence always being joyful...another reason to fight!